Friday, September 11, 2015

9/11


                                                                                9/11

            A day I personally will never forget. We have all heard the stories of ‘where were you on this day’. It like so many other tragedies that have happened and keep happening in our world will be remembered always. I will tell you my 9/11 stories and I would love to hear yours…

            I was living in Upstate New York about an hour outside of Syracuse, a small town and a small farmhouse. I was supposed to be in my first year of college but money and God’s leading had me staying home working in town. That day I was doing some laundry and watching Bonanza with my mom, laughing and joking about the show. We had a lot planed before I had to work my shift at the grocery store that afternoon. I went to put some towels away and when I came back, I thought the television had switched channels on me. I love a good disaster movie and that’s what I thought I was watching. I saw the tower on fire and the cause in the streets; I called to my mom to ask what she had turned it to. She came in and that’s when we saw the second plane hit, that’s when we realized it wasn’t a movie. Form that moment on I stayed near the television, I didn’t want to go to work. On the way in we listened to the radio and saw the flags put at half-mast. As odd as it sounds this was the first time I noticed the flags being different and my mom explained what it meant. It was very unrealistic to believe we, America, New York City only six or seven hours away people were dyeing and looking for their loved ones. I wanted to help, I needed to help. My mom’s advice was to pray, this was a given for me, I prayed through my whole shift and learned many of the men at my job had joined the military. When we learned about the plane going down in the field in PA, I was shocked. The school I was supposed to be at was only about 30-60 min away from there. I started seeing a pattern, how close I was to the danger yet spared.

 I felt guilty and in desperate need to do something more, something bigger. Joining the military was out of the question and I didn’t really have any money to go to NYC and help. Again a pastor told me to pray. I kept praying, I had friends being prepared to go to war, so I prayed. America had a large turn around that year; people who had never set foot in church were attending. The news was broadcasting the revivals, interviews with people speaking freely about God. Country artist were putting out songs praising God for His protection and asking Him for His protection over America.

On this day I also have to wonder why it takes a tragedy of such great proportion for people to turn to the one who created us? Why can’t we speak freely anymore about our faith without possibly offending someone? I am not ranting and I am not wishing to start a fight, this is just what I see. God is a huge part of my life, He strengthens me, protects me, helps me raise my girls, and shows me unconditional Love. This is why if I talk to people I can’t help but put God in the conversation, if that offends others I am sorry, but we are all human and something is bound to offend just about everyone. Some people find the sound of chewing gum offensive, some hate the talk about politics, others the subject of money issues. My point is we need to stop being so easily offended and just be the people God created us to be. Jesus didn’t change Himself to be liked by everyone. Why should we?

Okay, this is the end of my post today, not sure, anyone is out there reading but God told me to write and so here I am. Take me or leave me…

No comments:

Post a Comment